New Transportation Funding
The JCBL will advocate for:
- Short, medium and long-term funding solutions for multi-modal transportation and infrastructure improvements to reduce congestion and ensure proper maintenance.
- Funding transportation and infrastructure, at least partially, through General Fund appropriations, as do most other states.
- For example, the JCBL continues to support creating a enterprise fund for the Hospital Provider Fee and holding the legislature accountable to its commitment to fund SB09-228.
- A longer-term General Fund formula for transportation should be implemented once SB228 expires.
- Innovative approaches to creating new sources of transportation and infrastructure funding, including but not limited to:
- Tax increment financing
- Regional transportation funding mechanisms
- A reasonable increase in the state sales or gas tax for transportation
- Bonding against future revenue to jump start transportation improvements earlier.
- The funding for regional multi-modal transportation projects in or near Jefferson County to ease congestion and maintain existing infrastructure.
- Eliminating unfunded state and federal mandates on local jurisdictions.